Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) is an alternative, transformative model that aims to transition subscription journals to open access in a fair and sustainable way without Article Processing Charges (APCs). First introduced by Annual Reviews and later endorsed by cOAlition S, S2O has been embraced by a number of publishers who have come together in the S2O Community of Practice. This innovative model has quickly become an accepted approach for achieving open access and builds on collaborative initiatives such as SCOAP3 and Knowledge Unlatched.
Following the subscription renewal cycle, a journal joining the S2O programme will publish its newly accepted content in open access as soon as all subscription renewals have been received. Articles are published under a CC-BY 4.0 license which allows authors to retain the copyright and others to share and adapt the content.
EDP Sciences journals currently transitioning to open access under the S2O model:
- Mathematics Subscribe-to-Open programme
- Six mathematics journals are currently published in open access under the S2O model.
Visit the Maths S2O page for a list of participating journals, sponsors, a transparency report and other information.
- Astronomy & Astrophysics
- Astronomy & Astrophysics, one of the world’s top astronomy journals, will be published under a S2O model in 2022. See the A&A S2O page for more details.
- S2O Community of Practice
- Panel Discussion: Subscribe to Open – A New Path to Open Access (23 October 2020)/li>
- “Open Access Transformation for Astronomy & Astrophysics” (read)
- “Strong performance from maths portfolio in 2020 Journal Impact Factors from Clarivate” (read)
- “EDP Sciences and Knowledge Unlatched announce a Subscribe-to-Open collaboration” (read)
- “Momentum builds for Subscribe-to-Open as mathematics portfolio transitions to open access” (read)
- “Subscribe-to-Open 2021 Transparency Report published” (read)
- “SMAI awarded funding from Fonds national pour la science ouverte (FNSO) for Subscribe to Open maths journals published in partnership with EDP Sciences” (read)
- “Successful Subscribe to Open pilot paves the way for a ground-breaking roll out across the EDP Sciences maths portfolio” (read)
- “Mathematical Modelling of Natural Phenomena transitions to open access under the Subscribe to Open model” (read)
As an advocate of open science, EDP Sciences supports the principle of transparency. We follow FAIR data guidelines to be “as open as possible and as closed as necessary” to decide which information to include. More information is available to interested libraries on request. We hope that releasing supporting information of this kind will help librarians to evaluate our journals and reach an informed decision to subscribe to journals transitioning to open access under S2O.
Read the 2021 Transparency Report relating to the mathematics Subscribe-to-Open programme.
A similar initiative is planned for Astronomy & Astrophysics.
We thank subscribing institutions who, by renewing their subscriptions to the participating journals every year, enable us to publish the journals in open access. Occasionally, we may receive other financial or moral support, which is welcome, but not an alternative to subscriptions.
Additional sponsors to the mathematics Subscribe-to-Open (S2O) programme.